Arrest in Jamiel Shaw murder case
- Los Angeles Times, LAPD chief vows to clarify policy on immigrants, April 17
Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton said Wednesday that the department’s controversial policy on dealing with illegal immigrants was widely misunderstood by the public and some of his own officers, and he would clarify the rule in the next couple of weeks. -Los Angeles Times
- Los Angeles Times, Zine wants to amend LAPD policy on immigrants, April 11
- mayorsam.blogspot.com, Jamiel’s Dad talks with Mayor Sam, April 10
- KNBC, 19-year-old pleads not guilty in Jamiel Shaw, Jr. homicide case, April 9
- Houston Chronicle (AP), Alleged gang member pleads not guilty in slaying, April 9
- Los Angeles Times, Explaining Special Order 40 (opinion), April 9
- Los Angeles Times, Ask and deport, family urges, April 9
- cbs2.com, Shaw’s family proposes law to help curb violence (VIDEO), April 8
- FOX News, “Jamiel’s Law” targets illegal immigrant gang members, April 8
- MyFoxla.com, Jamiel Shaw’s parents meet with city leaders, April 8
- Los Angeles Times, Grieving father feels failed by 18-year plan, April 8
- The Daily Collegian (Penn State University) Cities bleed with ‘death by percentages, April 8
- FinalCall.com, Fear of a Black-Brown race war in Los Angeles, April 3
- Independent Weekly (North Carolina), For Eve and Jamiel, and everyone else (commentary), April 2
- mayorsam.blogspot.com, Family of Jamiel Shaw to voice support for “Jamiel’s Law” on Doug McIntyre tomorrow morning (posted April 1) *note: Doug McIntyre is a radio host on KABC (Los Angeles). You can listen to his program here.
- Pedro Espinoza mug shot and booking sheet
- Daily News (Los Angeles), Barbarians are within the gate, March 30:
The latest atrocity was the slaughter of 17-year-old Jamiel Shaw Jr., a star footballer who caught the eye of top college recruiters. Tragically, he also caught the eye of an illegal-alien gangbanger who gunned him down while Jamiel’s mother served in Iraq.
You can’t make this up. The irony of fighting a war against terrorism half a world away while a generation of Angelenos is shot to pieces by local terrorists, while your own son is cut down at home…. Wow.
- CNN, Dad faces son’s alleged killer; sees ‘normal’ youngster, March 26
- Times Record News (Wichita Falls, Texas), “A horrible waste,” March 25
Jamiel Shaw Jr., a teenager on the verge of living out an American dream, was gunned down by someone who authorities believe had no business still living in America. -Times Record News
- MyFoxLA, Arraigment postponed in Jamiel Shaw case, March 25
- KABC-TV, Man accused of killing teen heads to court, March 25
- Suspect in Jamiel Shaw Jr. murder case may be in US illegally, March 22
Mayor: Suspect “is a member of one of our most notorious gangs.”
Police chief: Espinoza is “a documented 18th Street” gang member released from jail “one day” before the shooting.
KNBC reports arraignment for suspect Pedro Espinoza postponed to March 25.
Just as friends and family of Jamiel Shaw Jr. are gathering for the teenager’s funeral, reports out of Los Angeles state that an arrest has been made in the case.
Reports out of Los Angles state that suspect Pedro Espinoza, 19, is believed to be a gang member. KABC quotes a source that claims Espinoza was “an active participant in a criminal street gang and the murder was carried out to further the activities of the criminal street gang.”
The state of California must still determine if this is a death penalty case.
Your thoughts about the Jamiel Shaw Jr. murder investigation are welcome here. Please feel free to comment.
-Los Angeles Times photo gallery of Jamiel Shaw Jr. funeral